Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Don’t we have babies here in America?


Picture of my siblings & Korean grand mother on vacation in Destin, Florida (June 2013)


It has been my experience, once I state that Nick and I are in the process of adopting, the second question most often asked is, “Where are you adopting from? “  It’s like a 50/50 shot for our questioners as to whether we are adopting from the states or from abroad.  All have not seemed to care if the adoption is domestic or international, but truly interested in the process and very encouraging.  I suppose, I get off fairly easy when I respond with Korea.  My mother is part Japanese and my father is part Korean, so I think people assume that I’m making some sort cultural connection by adopting a child from Korea.  There is some truth to this. I look forward to bringing my little human to my dad’s house, where my siblings and I eat kimchi & bulgogi and listen to my dad’s stories of growing up on Korea.   I look forward to learning more about my own Korean heritage in the process of trying to preserve my baby’s awareness of his ethnic roots.  I do plan to keep future baby Dobson’s Korean (given) name as a middle name.  As with all of my future children, keeping their ethnic identity is very important to me.   But, this doesn’t tell the whole story of why we chose Korea.  This blog post is only speaking from my personal experience.  I have not done any research on specific numbers, but I’m speaking from events that have occurred while on this wild ride called ADOPTION. 

So, why not adopt an American child?  Don’t we have enough orphans in America???? 

Yes and Yes to both questions.

Nick and I plan on adopting more children.  For us, adoption has been a way to become parents due to reproductive issues out of our control.   Therefore, eventually we will be adopting a little one domestically.  I frequently joke by saying, “I want a rainbow of children.”  But really, wouldn’t that be cool???  I envision all different shades of brown sitting around my dinner table. All of them loving one another as true siblings, and all calling me “Momma”.  Sounds like heaven to me!   OK, I’ll throw a statistic at ya that I got from attending an Orphan Care Alliance seminar last winter: there’s 7,000 kids in Kentucky alone that need adopting or foster care.  The need is there, I hear it, and I plan on answering that call in my lifetime. However, we chose an international adoption at first, because I am not sure if my heart could handle a domestic adoption or foster care right now, and here are my examples. 

First example involves my friend that was struggling with her own reproductive disappointments.  She was the one to grab my heart and fill it with the hope of adoption.  Before our convicting lunch together, I was always interested in adoption, but didn’t see it as a reality.  When she confidently declared her path to parenthood was adoption, I saw this lightness that came across her.  I saw how she was no longer empty, no longer longing, no longer wondering if God had forgotten her.  Adoption was freedom for her, and it eventually became all of these things for me.   The couple in my example chose to adopt domestically.  They wanted a Caucasian baby that was drug/alcohol free.  Now, before we begin to get upset over racial preferences, it is important to consider it and be fully honest with oneself.  Everyone’s family vision is different, and I respect everyone’s desires.  I happen to be a person that if a purple child was calling me “momma”, my heart would melt and I would love that little purple baby to the fullest. So back to the story, this couple did ALL the paperwork and waited, and waited and waited almost 2 years for their turn at the domestic matching game.  In the US, adoptive couples wanting an infant will put together a portfolio with pictures and things about themselves, and then a birth mom can choose you.  You then will hopefully be there the day your baby is born.  While my friend was waiting, several birth situations occurred, but every single one of them failed.  With every single failed birth situation, her heart broke even more.  By the end of her adoption experience, the couple open their hearts to babies outside of the Caucasian race, but still knew they wouldn’t be able care for a baby being treated for drug addiction or fetal alcohol syndrome.  From my friend’s experience, I got the assumption that there’s a good number of babies being carried by biological mothers that are drug abusers.  I would like to end this example on a happy note…. This couple’s journey was not meant to include adoption for their first child. After years of disappointment, the couple received their first baby, which was conceived the good ole fashioned way-SEX!! I could not be more thrilled for them!! I do appreciate her having an adoption experience, because it was this friend that lead me to this awesome journey.  If this particular friend is reading this and can deduce that I’m talking about you, I say with tears streaming down my face, Thank you! Thank you for showing me adoption. I have never been more at peace and full of excitement. With seeing this experience, I choose Korea for my first child.

To piggy-back on the topic of American birth moms being drug addicts, I have been told by my caseworker that the majority of adoption situations do not include drug abuse.  In fact, if you look at the numbers, they support my caseworker’s claim.  At our first home study the topic was raised, and we were told the majority demographic of birth moms were white females, non-drug users, in mid-to-late twenties, and usually had other biological children.  Usually the scenario includes the biological mother being in an economic hardship and simply wanted to provide more stability for the child being born.  As you can imagine, a birth mom loves her baby very much to be able to make this very brave  & difficult decision. Nonetheless, the odds of having a baby test positive for opioids (biological mom was on heroin) are higher in the US than in Korea.   My next example to support my thoughts involves my second home study visit with our caseworker.  To give background on caseworkers (mine in particular), they are spastic people.  Very nice people with huge hearts, but at least 10 things are going on around them at any one time.  My personal caseworker deals mainly with the birth moms, so her cell phone is constantly buzzing and she is continually answering the needs of several different pregnant women all of whom are in high stress situations.  So as Nick and I are trying to answer the caseworker’s very probing questions,  text messages, emails,  & phone calls would interrupt , and our caseworker would have to pause us.  Don’t get me wrong though, I welcomed the interruptions. These questions were tough and I needed to stall on a few!  One of the messages that came through the vibrating cell phone was to tell the caseworker that one of the birth moms had just given birth to a baby that tested positive for opioids.  Therefore, that little baby would need methadone treatment and was basically born addicted to heroin.   Instead of being shocked by this, the caseworker exclaimed, “I KNEW IT, I JUST KNEW IT.”  She elaborated and explained, the best indication of if a birth mom is addicted to drugs is prenatal care.  Usually if the birth mom is hopped up on drugs, she will not seek care while pregnant for fear of the drug use being caught.  What a sad situation.  That poor baby will fight for its life, and the adoptive parents are now facing unknown territory…The medical field is still trying to predict the outcome of a baby that just spent 9 months developing within a heroin addict.  They don’t know the odds of whether a child can develop normal or will be deemed special needs for the remainder of his life.

Korean babies do not come without their own risks, but the statistics are much less for Korean biological mom’s abusing hard drugs.  To provide full honesty, the culture has changed in Korea, and adoptive parents, by agreement, must be accepting of children born from mothers that smoked cigarettes and drank moderate levels of alcohol during pregnancy.  I know this sounds confusing, but Korea as a country has developed this mandatory rule for American adoptive parents. That being said, most of the babies adopted from Korea are showing little-to-no signs of drug/alcohol dependence.   Of the families adopting from my adoption agency, all of the Korean children have come home as happy, completely healthy, beautiful toddlers.  My point, my heart could not bear saying no to a child fighting for his life because the biological mother couldn’t keep herself off drugs. But, at the same time, my life as it is now (I’m a dental school student married to an Air Force pilot that leaves all the time), could not handle caring for a child addicted to drugs and fighting for his life.  I wouldn’t be the best match for that baby .  Therefore, I choose Korea for my first child.

My last example as to why I chose an international adoption involves a friend who has a relative that adopted.  First let me explain, I always thought the biggest risk to domestic adoption was that the biological family could come back and legally take your baby. In actuality, I don’t think this occurs and if it does it’s really rare, and shouldn’t hold anyone back from adopting domestically.   However, a more realistic issue is the birth dad and his rights, so this leads me back to my example….  This example’s adoptive family was matched with a mom that was to give birth in several months.  The adoptive family began to prepare for the baby in a short amount of time, and was excited for their arriving baby.  The call came in. The biological mother was in labor and the adoptive parents were hospital bound. Instead of receiving their bundle of joy that day, they received the news that the biological father still needed to sign documents, but he wasn’t responding to phone calls.  Therefore, the little baby could not legally  go home with his adoptive parents, but had to go into foster care for the first 30 days of his life, AND the adoptive parents couldn’t have contact with the baby.  What disappointment.  I know I’m probably leaving out some detail to this 6th degree story, but this was the outcome: the baby didn’t go home with his parents.  My heart wouldn’t be able to handle this.  With Korean adoptions, once you jump through every unreasonable hoop thrown at you by your adoption agency, the placing agency and the country of Korea, you FOR SURE take a baby home. Therefore, I choose Korea for my first child.

If you are interested in a Korean adoption, this is what I know:  The support group is huge in Louisville, KY and elsewhere in the US. Korea has adopted to the US at a steady rate since the Korean war.  There was a lull in the 1988 after the Olympics focused on Korea adopting their children to Americans, which made Korea weary of how their nation was being perceived by the world.  The international adoption landscape is constantly changing, so what is rule today maybe obsolete tomorrow, but Korea has remained pretty stable.   I was told with confidence to expect an adoption process of 10-14 months, to expect a child that is 12-18 months old, and to expect a BOY!!! There are more male children available for adoption in Korea, so we are not allowed to specify gender, but to expect a male baby.  There are a couple of reasons  for the gender discrepancy: 1. Americans in general want Asian female children, so there are less little girls up for adoption.  2.  It was explained to us, in Korea there was a previous law that basically deemed children born into unwed situations as bastards.  The children were not allowed to attend college or move upwards in social status.  However, females were allowed to marry out of this status, but males remained held back.  Therefore, unwed moms would place baby boys into the Korean adoption system.  NOW, I’m sure this law was enacted when my Korean grandmother was herself a toddler and was roaming the streets of Seoul in her diapers. Nonetheless, this used to be the LAW and remnants of the stigma may still linger. 


These are my reasons for choosing an international adoption and specifically Korea for our first adoption.  I hope I brought light to any questions.  If you feel like you are a personal example in my story, and want me to delete anything, I will.  Just say the word!  There is no right way to parenthood.  Biological or adopted, foster care or adoption, domestic or international, it really doesn’t matter.   In the end, a child needs you to raise him and to give him a fair shot at this crazy world. So I close with this:  Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.  1 John 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment